There are two types of Academic Memberships:
1.- University/College Membership
An accredited institute, college, university, or other similar business of which its primary existence is the education and training of its registered students. A qualifying institute offers courses as part of a curriculum that results in a degree typically not less than two years, as well as four-year graduate and post-graduate degrees.
- University/college members are eligible to take Workshops and attend conferences for 50% of the price in effect for the event. Meals are an additional cost.
- The university/college and IFPUG will work together to integrate function point information into the curriculum as appropriate.
- The faculty members from the university/college will be provided electronically transmitted copies of the Counting Practices Manual (CPM) free.
- IFPUG will license distribution of IFPUG publications to designated bookstores or copy centers to fulfill classroom requirements.
- University/college members may purchase IFPUG publications at the member discount price through the IFPUG office.
- IFPUG will provide a free copy of any publication to an instructor who is using IFPUG publications within their course that are required for student purchase for the course.
- University/college members do not have voting privileges unless they pay the equivalent of the individual member price for each voting member.
- The university/college must specify a primary contact for each department wishing to engage IFPUG.
- Faculty member/Institution cannot further distribute the IFPUG Publications (including the CPM) to anyone free of charge, nor can they be placed on an Internet or Intranet web site.
- Academic members will be encouraged to set up IFPUG Student Chapters.
- Any function point related articles that Academic Members publish should be made available for IFPUG to publish with permission.
The membership is renewable on a year-to-year basis. After the first one-year term, University members who comply with items 1 – 4 below are eligible to retain their University Membership for another year:
- a) Be the point of contact in actively promoting and teaching software metrics, including function points, as part of your academic institution’s, university’s or college’s curriculum, or b) actively provide support for a research project sponsored by the Education Committee, including but not limited to completing the research project, or acting as faculty advisor to a graduate or senior thesis student.
- Write a minimum of a two-paragraph article for MetricViews outlining activities completed during the last academic year and proposed activities in the coming academic year.
- Complete and submit the request for University Membership form to the IFPUG office. We prefer this be done through E-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), but postal mail is acceptable. Please mark to the attention of the Education Committee, and
- Submit a final report to the Education committee at the end of the academic year.
2.- Student Membership
A Student Membership annual rate of $50 is available with proof of being a full-time student.
- Student members are eligible to take Workshops and attend conferences for 50% off the price in effect for the event. Meals are an additional cost.
- Student members will be provided electronically transmitted copies of the Counting Practices Manual for $10.
- Student members may purchase IFPUG publications at the member discount price through the IFPUG office.
- Student members have no voting rights.
A person or corporation joining IFPUG as Regular Member between January 1 and April 30 of any year will be charged a prorated dues amount equal to one-half the current yearly fee. A person or corporation joining IFPUG as a Regular Member between May 1 and June 30 of any year will be charged the full yearly fee. However, such person or corporation will be awarded membership through June 30 of the following year. e.g. A person joining on May 1 will receive fourteen months membership for the price of twelve.